Assistant Professor (RTDA)
Department of Chemistry, Materials, and Chemical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano
Phone: +39 02 2399 4234
My research activity focuses on the kinetic modeling of pyrolysis and combustion of fossil and biofuels, and of pollutants formation. In particular, my current research activities cover the following fields:
- Development and assessment of detailed kinetic mechanisms
- Lumping of kinetic mechanisms
- Theoretical Calculation of Rate constants
- Experimental measurements of Ignition Delay times in Shock Tubes and Rapid Compression Machines (in collaboration with Combustion Chemistry Centre, National University of Ireland, Galway)
- M Pelucchi, C Cavallotti, T Faravelli, SJ Klippenstein "H-Abstraction reactions by OH, HO2, O, O2 and benzyl radical addition to O2 and their implications for kinetic modelling of toluene oxidation" Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2018, in press
- M. Singla, M. L. Rasmussen, H. Hashemi, H. Wu, P. Glarborg, M. Pelucchi, T. Faravelli and P. Marshall "Ab Initio Calculations and Kinetic Modeling of Thermal Conversion of Methyl Chloride: Implications for Gasification of Biomass". Physycal Chemistry Chemical Physics, in print.
A Carrera, M Pelucchi, A Stagni, A Beretta, G Groppi. "Catalytic partial oxidation of n-octane and iso-octane: experimental and modeling results" International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 42 (39), 24675-24688
- M. Pelucchi, M. Bissoli, C. Rizzo, Y. Zhang, K.P. Somers, A. Frassoldati, H.J. Curran, T. Faravelli “A kinetic modelling study of alcohols operating regimes in a HCCI engine” SAE International Journal of Engines 10.2017-24-0077 (2017).
- M. Pelucchi, C. Cavallotti, E. Ranzi, A. Frassoldati, T. Faravelli "Relative reactivity of oxygenated fuels: alcohols, aldehydes, ketons and methyl esters. Energy & Fuels, (10), 8665-8679, 2016. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.6b01171. DOI: 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.6b01171
- M. Pelucchi, E. Ranzi, A. Frassoldati, T. Faravelli "Alkyl radicals rule the low temperature oxidation of long chain aldehydes". Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 36 (1), 393-401. DOI: 10.1016/j.proci.2016.05.051
- P.E.A. Debiagi, G. Gentile, M. Pelucchi, A. Frassoldati, A. Cuoci, T. Faravelli, E. Ranzi, "Detailed kinetic mechanism of gas-phase reactions of volatiles released from biomass pyrolysis", Biomass and Bioenergy, Volume 93, October 2016, Pages 60-71. DOI: 10.1016/j.biombioe.2016.06.015
- M.S. Bernardi, M. Pelucchi, A. Stagni, A. Cuoci, L.M. Sangalli, A. Frassoldati, P. Secchi, T. Faravelli "Curve Matching, a generalized framework for models/experiments comparison: an application to n-heptane combustion kinetic mechanisms". Combustion and Flame, Volume 168, June 2016, Pages 186-203.
- D. Nativel, M. Pelucchi, A. Frassoldati, A. Comandini, A. Cuoci, E. Ranzi, N. Chaumeix, T. Faravelli, "Laminar flame speeds of pentanol isomers: An experimental and modeling study" Combustion and Flame, Volume 166, April 2016, Pages 1-18
- Pelucchi, M., Frassoldati, A., Faravelli, T., Ruscic, B., Glarborg, P., "High-temperature chemistry of HCl and Cl2", Combustion and Flame, 162 (6), pp. 2693-2704 (2015), DOI: 10.1016/j.combustflame.2015.04.002
- Ranzi E., Cavallotti C., Cuoci A., Frassoldati A., Pelucchi M., Faravelli T., "New reaction classes in the kinetic modeling of the low temperature oxidation of n-alkanes", Combustion and Flame, 162 (5), pp. 1679-1691 (2015), DOI:10.1016/j.combustflame.2014.11.030
- Pelucchi M., Bissoli M., Cavallotti C., Cuoci A., Faravelli T., Frassoldati A., Ranzi E., Stagni A., "An improved kinetic model of the low temperature oxidation of n-heptane". Energy Fuels, 28 (11), pp. 7178-7193 (2014), DOI: 10.1021/ef501483f
- Pelucchi M., Somers K. P., Burke U., Yasunaga K., Frassoldati A., Ranzi E., Curran H. J., Faravelli T., "An experimental and kinetic modelling study of nC3-C5 aldehydes pyrolysis and oxidation in shock tubes". Combustion and Flame, 162 (2), 265-286 (2015), DOI:10.1016/j.combustflame.2014.07.027
- Ranzi E., Frassoldati A., Stagni A., Pelucchi M., Cuoci A., Faravelli T., "Reduced kinetic schemes of complex reaction systems: Fossil and biomass-derived transportation fuels", International Journal of Chemical Kinetics, 46 (9), pp. 512-542, (2014), DOI: 10.1002/kin.20867
- October 2017-present: Assistant Professor
- November 2016 – October 2017: Postdoctoral researcher at Politecnico di Milano
- January 2016 – August 2016: Visiting Graduate at Argonne National Laboratory, IL, USA (Dr. S.J. Klippenstein)
- November 2013 – October 2016: Ph.D. in Industrial Chemistry and Chemical Engineering at Politecnico di Milano (Supervisor: Prof. Tiziano Faravelli)
- June 2013 – November 2013: Research Grant at Politecnico di Milano for the development of detailed chemical kinetic models to describe the oxidation
- March 2012 – August 2012: Visiting student in the research group of Prof. Henry Curran, Combustion Chemistry Centre, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland. Experimental (Shock Tubes and Rapid Compression Machines) and kinetic modeling activity for the development of the Master Thesis.
- 2010 – 2013: Master Degree in Chemical Engineering at the Politecnico di Milano (April 2013). Thesis title: "Experimental and kinetic modeling study of n-butanal and n-pentanal auto-ignition in shock tubes". Advisors: Prof. Tiziano Faravelli, Prof. Henry Curran and Prof. Eliseo Ranzi.
- 2007 – 2010: Bachelor Degree in Chemical Engineering at the Politecnico di Milano (September 2010). Thesis title: "Modelli di surrogati per combustibili aeronautici" [Surrogate models for avio-fuels]. Advisors: Prof. Tiziano Faravelli and Prof. Alberto Cuoci.