Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Department of Chemistry, Materials, and Chemical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano
My research activity is focused on the role of kinetics in internal combustion engines and, in particular, on the coupling of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) engines and bio-fuels. In my PhD I've developed a new predictive model for the simulation of the thermo-fluid dynamics in HCCI engines, able to accounts for the effects of the typical engine parameters (like the Exhaust Gas Recirculation, thermal exchange phenomena, ecc.). The code is specifically designed to manage detailed kinetic schemes with hundreds of species and thousands of reactions. This tool usefulness arises from the possibility to overcome the current CFD simulations of IC engines limits, and make a fast and reliable analysis of the system with detailed combustion models. The use of detailed kinetic mechanisms is an essential condition in order to study the auto-ignition behavior of a fuel, and their coupling with specific tools directly integrated in the model (like the sensitivity analysis and the rate of production analysis), allowing the easily identification of the reaction pathway, the species and the controlling conditions of the pollutant emissions.
In order to achieve the optimal performances, it is necessary to use specific numerical methods and suitable ODE/DAE solvers able to exploit the structure of the numerical problem, as well as specific meta-programming techniques and low-level vectorization functions. Parallel computing, both on shared and distributed memory (i.e. MP and MPI), can help to further improve the solution performances.
Fluid Dynamics of Fires (Teaching Assistant)
Combustion and Formation of pollutants (Teaching Assistant)
- Present. Postdoctoral research fellow.
- 2012-2016. PhD in Industrial Chemistry and Chemical Engineering at Politecnico di Milano. Modeling HCCI engines with focus on transport phenomena, fluid dynamics and chemical kinetics.
- January 2015-July 2015. Visiting PhD at the combustion group of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, California, U.S.), working on the development and validation of models for the HCCI combustion, under the supervision of Marco Mehl and William J. Pitz.
- 2011-2012. Research Grant at Politecnico di Milano for the development of a parallel code for the fluid dynamic study of internal combustion engines.
- 2010-2011. Master of Science in Chemical Engineering at Politecnico di Milano. Thesis title: Ignizione di Combustibili Alternativi in un Motore HCCI. Advisors: Prof. Tiziano Faravelli and Ing. Alessio Frassoldati.
- 2006-2010. Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering at Politecnico di Milano. Thesis title: Simulazione di fiamme contrapposte turbolente. Advisors: Prof. Tiziano Faravelli and Ing. Alessio Frassoldati.
- Bissoli, M., Frassoldati, A., Cuoci, A., Ranzi, E., Mehl, M., & Faravelli, T. "A new predictive multi-zone model for HCCI engine combustion". Applied Energy, 178, 826-843, 2016, DOI: doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.06.062
- Bissoli, M., Mehl, Vuilleumier, D., Kozarac, D. "Detailed kinetic modeling of n-heptane/biogas combustion in HCCI engines", 9th U.S. National Combustion Meeting, Cincinnati, Ohio (U.S.), May 17-20, 2015.
- Pelucchi, M., Bissoli, M., Cavallotti, C., Cuoci, A., Faravelli, T., Frassoldati, T., Ranzi, E., Stagni, A. "Improved kinetic model of the low-temperature oxidation of n-heptane”, Energy & Fuels, 28(11), 7178-7193, 2014, DOI: 10.1021/ef501483f
- Bissoli, M., Frassoldati, A., Cuoci, A., Faravelli, T., Ranzi, E., "Kinetic Modeling of HCCI combustion”, JOINT MEETING OF THE FRENCH AND ITALIAN SECTIONS OF THE IFRF AND THE COMBUSTION INSTITUTE, Pisa, April 23-24, 2014.
- Bissoli, M., Cuoci, A., Frassoldati, A., Faravelli, T., Ranzi, E., Lucchini, T., D'Errico, G., Contino, F. "Detailed Kinetic Analysis of HCCI Combustion Using a New Multi-Zone Model and CFD Simulations", SAE International Journal of Engines 6 (3), 1594-1609, 2013, DOI: 10.4271/2013-24-0021
- Bissoli, M., Frassoldati, A., Cuoci, A., Faravelli, T., Ranzi, E. "Kinetic Modeling of the Low Temperature Reactivity of n-Butanol", XXXVI COMBUSTION MEETING OF THE ITALIAN SECTION OF THE COMBUSTION INSTITUTE, Procida, 13-16 June 2013, DOI: 10.4405/36proci2013.IV2
- Bissoli, M., Fumagalli, A., Frassoldati, A., Cuoci, A., Faravelli, T., Ranzi, E. "Explosion Diagrams and Detailed Chemistry Help the Understanding of HCCI Operation", XXXV COMBUSTION MEETING OF THE ITALIAN SECTION OF THE COMBUSTION INSTITUTE, Milano, 10-12 October, 2012, DOI: 10.4405/35proci2012.IV3