Department of Chemistry, Materials, and Chemical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano
My research interests are centered in the area of combustion and energy, and I am particularly interested in the application of CFD simulation in flameless and micro-scale combustion systems. During my Masters in UTM, I joined the High Speed Reacting Flow laboratory (HiREF) to develop a 3D turbulence model of their lab-scale flameless combustor feed by complex fuel (biogas). We found out that biogas as a source of renewable energy is faced with problems in conventional combustions because of its low calorific value (LCV); however, such biogas could be an excellent source of energy for flameless combustion systems. My master thesis focused on effects of bluff body shape on the flame stability in premixed micro-combustion. In this study, the blow-off limit of nine different bluff bodies and combustion efficiency of micro-combustor were examined and a new bluff body called “wall-blade” was introduced, that greatly enhanced emitter efficiency.
Recently, considerable attention has been paid to natural gas, because it burns more cleanly than other hydrocarbon fuels, such as oil and coal, and produces less carbon dioxide per unit of energy released. My current research project is devoted to improving a detailed kinetic mechanism for combustion and oxidation of natural gas. The kinetic characterization of natural gas combustion represents an important and crucial role to analyze and describe, in order to correctly predict the flame characteristics and stability. Therefore the aim of this study is to propose a detailed kinetic mechanism with predictive capabilities in a wide range of operating conditions (conventional and flameless modes), describing the oxidation and combustion of natural gas.
- Dec 2015-Present. PhD candidate in Chemical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy.
- 2012–2014. Master of Mechanical Engineering, University Technology Malaysia, Johor Campus, Malaysia.
- 2006-2009. Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Specialized in Thermo Fluids), Islamic Azad University, Kashan Campus, Iran
- 2004-2006. Associate Degree of Automobile Mechanics, Technical Institute No. 2, Kermanshah, Iran.
- G. Bagheri, and S. E. Hosseini, "Impacts of inner/outer reactor heat recirculation on the characteristic of micro-scale combustion system." Energy Conversion and Management 105 (2015): 45-53.1
- S. E. Hosseini, G. Bagheri, M. A. Wahid, and A. Saat, "Clean Fuel, Clean Energy Conversion Technology: Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Palm Oil Mill Euent Biogas Flameless Combustion." BioResources 10, no. 4 (2015): 6597-6609
- G. Bagheri, S. E. Hosseini, and M. A.l Wahid, "Effects of bluff body shape on the flame stability in premixed micro-combustion of hydrogen–air mixture." Applied Thermal Engineering 67, no. 1 (2014): 266-272
- S. E. Hosseini, G. Bagheri, and M. A.l Wahid, "Numerical investigation of biogas flameless combustion." Energy Conversion and Management 81 (2014): 41-50.
- S. E. Hosseini, A. M. Andwari, M. A. Wahid, and G. Bagheri, "A review on green energy potentials in Iran." Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 27 (2013): 533-545